Swan River Curling Club


Swan River's 1st curling rink was built in 1915 at 224-6th Avenue North and consisted of one sheet of ice. Additional sheets were added the following years. In 1920, the three sheet building collapsed and had to be rebuilt. The 2nd rink was constructed at 7th Avenue North.

By 1952, the growth of the town and popularity of curling led to the construction of the 3rd rink, with six sheets at 205-9th Avenue North. That building was destroyed by fire in March 1953 and replaced with a 4th building with eight sheets of ice. In 1956, the roof collapsed. It was repaired and in 1961 the facility was modernized with the installation of an artificial ice plant. In 1983 the building was condemned.

The dedicated curlers joined clubs in the outlying towns and in 1985 returned to the Swan River Club to the 5th rink with six sheets of artificial ice.  The Swan River Curling Club has undergone major renovations over the years. In 1992 a major transformation took place with the building of a lower and upper viewing area with a concession and lounge area in the upper level.

Copyright 2016 ValleyBiz.ca. All Rights Reserved